Monday, January 7, 2013

Get Your Shoes On

I can't tell y'all the heart I have for women who struggle with their weight.

For 20 years to be in the overweight or obese category, the emotions connected with that are almost overwhelming.

And then in my late 30's to finally figure it out, well, I can't help but shout it from the rooftops!

Now I know that being a certain size is not where happiness comes from.  A woman (or man) can only find pure joy and confidence in their relationship with the Savior.

And that is actually where my weight-loss story started.  I figured out and became confident in the fact that the Lord saw my heart only, and I rested there. I knew I was whole in Him, no matter my physical appearance.

We've all read and heard 1 Samuel 16:7 many times.  But it takes time, and for me, knowing I had no other option then to believe it, grasp on, and experience....

1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV) ~ The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.


So with all that being said, I can't help but share things that I learned along my journey, in the hope and honestly, prayers, that you will be encouraged to make some changes and start moving forward in becoming more healthy.

Okay, so even now, on days I'm going to walk, run or climb Stone Mountain (my favorite activities) I don't come downstairs or get coffee, without my workout clothes on, including shoes and socks!

I also always have a few water bottles in the fridge ready to grab and go.

It doesn't sound like much, but I know myself, and know that I need to be very prepared.  It does not take much for the day to pass, or it's time to get one of the kids, and I've not exercised at all.

Final thought, if you are just getting started and haven't exercised in a long time.  I know it can be intimidating.  Don't think long term.  Just get out there, today, for a 10-20 minute walk.

You can do it.  For real.



2 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks Lisa! I needed this one. : )

Jamie Miles said...

It's so true Lisa. On the days I have to sit behind the computer -- I need to make myself get out the door. Or to the gym on windy cold days like yesterday. I used to run/walk on days like that but I just can't take the cold anymore...getting wimpy in my old age I guess.