Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happy Birthday Daddy

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and earth...

Genesis 1:3 Then God said, "let there be light"...

Genesis 1:6 Then God said, “Let there be a space between the waters, to separate the waters of the heavens from the waters of the earth."

Genesis 1:9 Then God said, “Let the waters beneath the sky flow together into one place, so dry ground may appear.” And that is what happened.

Today is my Dad's birthday. He is 74. I am estranged from my Dad, have been for years. Our relationship is, unfortunately, this way due to circumstances outside my control, choices I did not make.

A lot of people have said that he will never change and they have every right to think so. My Dad has been the same way for decades. He is an angry man, a bitter man, a mentally unstable man. He made unwise choices throughout his life...

I am shaking as I write this because this is very sad and incredibly disappointing. And as his daughter, I wish joy, happiness and peace for him. I have prayed this for him, for years.

Whenever I think Daddy will never change I then think, "So the Creator of the Universe, the One who SPOKE all things into existence can't grab the heart of one simple man?"

The One who created my Dad can't speak to his 74 year old heart?

The One who is Omniscient, All Knowing, All Powerful can't do this?

Of course the Lord's plan may not be my own. There may never be reconciliation. We do live in a fallen, sinful world.

But I refuse to put the One, Creator of all things in a box. There are no limits to what He can do in our lives and the lives of others. He has not run out of miracles.

This morning I prayed for my Daddy. Honestly I hadn't prayed for him in a while. But I did today, that God would touch his heart, and that he would respond with an openness to His unconditional love and forgiveness.

Acts 2:26 No wonder my heart is glad, and my tongue shouts his praises! My body rests in hope.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I will pray for your daddy, too. It's so frustrating when we don't see people change, but like you said, God can do miracles. I will pray that your daddy responds when God gives him His miracle.

Lisa, you have an amazing attitude. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Praying for a miracle in your dad's life!

Amy said...

Thanks for this post Lisa. I am also estranged from a family member. My brother cut off all communication with me and our family a few years ago with no real explanation. He is about 10 years older than me and I have idolized him since I was very little, I just love(d) him so much. It is so painful! I pray for him a lot and am praying that God will work a miracle in our family. Especially before anything would happen to my parents and them not having reconciled. I will pray for your Dad also!

I love reading your blog! Seems that you always know what I need to hear. : ) Thanks for following your heart and sharing your stories.

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

miracle prayers for your daddy, sweet friend. he really has the coolest girls on the planet for daughters - i pray that God grabs his heart and soon . . .he's missing out on SOOO much, not to mention those precious grandchildren.

love you so!

Jill Hill said...

oh, this touches my heart sweet girl. i love your heart and your faith in the good, strength and power of our God. you inspire me so much. love you, friend.

Women Who Pray said...

O Lisa!!! I just read today's blog...It's been more than a year...in fact, almost 14 months...and here is one of the most beautiful answered prayers I've seen...heard...My heart is shouting thank You, Jesus!!! Thank You, precious, precious, Jesus, for loving Lisa so, and for loving her Daddy so!!! Glory!!! Praise and all Glory goes to You, LORD!!! You see the big picture in all lives!!! And You are the repairer of the breach!!! You make a way where there's no way!!! Only You, LORD!!! No one!!! Not one!!! could have done this! How awesome!!!! I magnify You, LORD!!! I've not know all the story...I've just know all these precious women...wife and daughters...with Lisa the baby girl...and I just want to thank You, LORD!!! Tears flowing...heart rejoicing!!! and because You are not a respecter of persons...and what You do for one You will do for others...I lift up the families with breaches...giant rifts between mothers and daughters...fathers and sons...parents and sons or daughters...So many that I know close up...LORD, I am thanking You that in these last days...Your precious institution...the family...all families will be united...and the family of God as we await this wonderful return of our LORD...KING of Kings and LORD of Lords!! Sweet Jesus, You have done a wonderful miracle here...and I thank You that I get to be part of this just because Lisa and I love each other and You love us!!! Woo Hoo!!!! Amen and Amen!!!