Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Drive for Sanity



Today marks day 10 that we have dealt with the flu, last week it was all me, this past week, both my kids.

Today also marks the first 24-hr period of being fever free, yippee! But we also have lingering coughs that keep us awake at night. So we have definitely turned the corner, but not getting a full night of zzzz's and still use our fair share of Kleenex.

When my daughter was a baby she did not sleep for 10 months, she would catnap. If she slept longer than 2 hours it was shocking. So obviously I was extremely sleep deprived, oh and she loved to nurse. So I was the sleep deprived dairy queen. Moo.

But during that time I also had a 2 1/2 year old boy who was down to 1 nap a day, needed his mommy, wanted, his mommy.

It was during this time that I fell in love with taking drives to get out of the house. I didn't have the time (nursing, crying baby) or the wherewithal to make many big trips to Target or the mall. But I could get showered, load us all up with snacks and juice and take a drive. Sometimes it was for 20 min., other times for much longer. Always with a stop at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee or Sonic for a cherry limeade. Anything to feel I had a few moment of sanity as my kids were safely strapped in listening to a Baby Einstein cd, looking out the windows.

And on day 10 of the flu, this is what we did today. Baby girl, ironically, is the only one who got a full night sleep while the rest of us coughed or assisted someone else who was...coughing.

Before 8am we were all 3 in the car with plenty of drinks, 2 toys each for entertainment, toddler potty in the back. A very overpriced Starbucks drive-thru for a Venti for mom, banana & chocolate chip "bread" (cake) for the little ones.

A back road trip to Barrow County to show the kids our first home, pointing to a lot of cows and horses along the way. A few stops for the little rock star potty-trainee and we were livin' large.

On our way home we pulled into the Gwinnett Braves stadium for a look-see. Saw the gate open, checked in with the window tix guy who gave us the green light to look around. We all 3 enjoyed every morsel of the sunshine, rows and rows of empty seats, green grass and talks of Summertime games. Then the wind kicked up and we all started coughing, again, so back to the car we went.

Honestly, these trips are more for my sanity than anyone else. It is on these drives that I can get some much needed perspective. I return from these jaunts a bit refreshed, clear-headed. It is so easy in these times of sickness, nursing babies, sleep deprivation, etc etc etc. to be very short-tempered and snappy with my kids, who frankly don't need or deserve it and I end up regretting my actions.

So mom's, take a drive. Get the kids strapped in, put the windows down, grab a coffee. Take a drive for sanity.

3 comments:

Mulberry Manor said...

OH Lisa - this post brings back memories! I used to do this very same thing. Goodness, we knew all the back country roads from Elnora to Strathmore. It was a sanity break from being cooped up, yet not wanting to brave shopping with toddlers. I have stories about that too - being in a change room with 4 little ones. Not pretty.;) Sometimes you just got to get out - and since leaving the precious babes behind (though tempting at times)would constitute abandonment...the next best thing it to strap 'em in and take them along for the ride. My kids learned to be great travellers and we have done our fair share of long road trips since then. So glad you all have turned the corner with your nasty flu bugs - nothing worse. Here's to sunny, warm weather and lots of healthy outdoor play in the near future for you! We have a ways to go yet I think...:)

Rebekah said...

I love this post and I love how being a mommy is all about going with the flow, but still with common sense. Like, it took common sense to get out of the house, but then you let your mommy senses direct you from there.

Awesome mommy, you are!

Jennifer said...

I really thought I commented on this post weeks ago, but I guess I just did in my head! Anyway, I think this plan is brilliant, and I need to remember the idea sometime. I get so nervous about my kids falling asleep in the car b/c a 15 minute nap will keep my older two up 2 hours later, but, sometimes, a drive for sanity's sake is worth it!