Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mini-Me


I have to post about Jenna today. She is such a fun, happy little girl! I really love to watch her play, especially when Max is taking a nap or hanging out with Scott. She plays very well by herself and it is such a thrill to watch.

The 3 of us had lunch with Scott today, so of course on the drive home from his office in ATL Jenna slept for about 20 minutes which meant she would not go back to sleep in her bed. So she is up with me while Max snoozes.

This is the scene. I am chillin' on the sofa reading Beth Moore's "So Long Insecurity" (Wow, what a book, I highly recommend) and Jenna is playing with her "bebe", i.e. baby. She has put the baby in her highchair, put a bib on the baby, went to the sippy cup drawer to get a cup, I got her a bowl and a fork and she is feeding her baby. She is mimicking me.

So what am I teaching Jenna? Obviously I take care of her physical needs, feed her, dress her, but what is she learning from me outside of these things. When I don't think she's watching or listening, which inevitably she is.

I know she listens to me when I'm on the phone...what am I saying? Am I building people up or tearing them down? What kind of language am I using?

And what is she watching me do in my spare time, once everyone is fed and the dryer isn't buzzing...

What is she hearing and seeing when I'm interacting with Scott? What is my tone and body language? Does she hear me talking kindly to her Daddy? What is she going to learn from me regarding being a godly wife?

Okay I'm going to be honest here and say I'm a bit convicted. I can be very black and white, pretty serious and not always very flexible. But with that being said, (is that some sort of personal disclaimer?!) raising children is serious business, at least I think so.

Oh Father in heaven I feel so incredibly inadequate. Please continue to guide me daily in my own behavior and actions as I have these 4 little eyes and ears watching and listening to me...learning from me. I'm so thankful I have YOU for goodness sake! I love you Lord, your girl, Lisa

2 comments:

irish coffee and chocolate said...

Oh my goodness she is a dolly! I haven't seen pics of her lately! Your post is a good reminder to all us moms:) So true!

Jill Hill said...

such a sweet post. love.