Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Charleston

(this post should be read in your finest Southern accent.  If you please.)  :-)

We took a family excursion to Charleston this past weekend...and we will go back.  What a great city.  Is it a city or a town?  It's bigger than a town, so I guess that makes it a city.  Though we googled the population of Atlanta compared to the entire population of the state of South Carolina and ATL has 4.2 m, South Carolina 4.6 m.  I think I have to call Charleston a town.

Great history here, pick your era; Revolution, Civil War, WWII.  You've got Ft. Sumter, the USS Yorktown along with a submarine and gunner ship.  (Is gunner ship the correct description?)  Parks with cannons, big and small.  The list goes on.

You also have the city market where you can purchase anything at any cost.  I was suckered into a beautiful hand painted scarf.  Well actually it was made in Indonesia, maybe a sweet lady hand painted it there?  Who knows.  I bought it and love it.  End of story.

And then my favorite, the trees and the rows of old South town-homes, nestled against the rod iron gates, right up against the sidewalk, giant oaks shading the verandas where we actually saw Southern ladies and gentlemen sipping tea...or the like.  ;)

Across the cobblestone streets where enormous parks housing the same graceful giant oaks, with benches galore calling me from the sweltering heat to sit amongst them so they could wave their strong branches and cool me down.  I sweat mind you, but here, I glistened as any fine Southern lady would.

I could have sat there all day.

We also took a tour in a horse and carriage.  It was hot for sure, but you don't seem to notice as our guide and his thick Charleston accent explained the history of this street, that building, this church and that house.  Something about the clip-clop of our strong horse, Butterfinger, transported us to a different place.  The red lights and cars going around us seemed to melt away into the street...

I asked Scott a few times the next day if we could take the longer residential tour next time.

Because we are going back.

And you should too.  This town is all folks say it is.  Lovely.



1 comment:

Jamie Miles said...

Charleston is one of my favorite places. I went there for the wedding of my husband's brother 10 years ago. I remember thinking -- How could I never have been here? It had everything I loved. Old, history, salt water, good food and it was in the South. If you're ever up for a girl's road trip I'm in. And in April the Cooper River Bridge Run is great. A huge event that starts in Mount Pleasant goes over the bridge and ends up in Charleston.