Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Oh Martha

Luke 10:38-41 (NLT)

38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home.

39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught.

40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”

41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details!

I can really relate to Martha..."worried and upset over all these details". No wonder I struggle at times hearing that Still Small Voice. I am so "busy" with "stuff".

And then there's Mary who "sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what He taught". Oh man, this is what I need to be doing!!

I just have to ask myself, what is more important? Every day I chose how I am going to spend each minute, each hour. Where am I placing importance...ouch...

How do I spend my days? Am I sitting at His feet, listening? Or am I busy with stuff that does not matter?

It is time for me to be quiet and sit, so I can hear.


2 comments:

Jill Hill said...

i think of this verse every time i get too martha-ish. it helps me to stop, re-group, and enjoy the moment.

it's easy to get all martha-ish in this "martha" kind of world...but it's not the fruit. the fruit is that sweet surrender of mary...just like you said.

toast to our girl, mary! :)

Teddi said...

As a former Martha, and now, a much more desired life of Mary, there is no comparison. Beginning my day each day, in the Secret Place of the Most High...tarrying for more that one hour...in agreement with others...seeking His Kingdom first...proclaiming His Word..that will not return void..my days are still full..but instead of the day taking charge of me...I take hold of the day and am prepared to pray and share at all times...yes, I'm retired..but only 1 year of this 8-year practice...I complete a career of teaching, and cared for my parents, and spent much time with grands...we all have the same 24 hours...the Lord redeems the time when we give the 1st portion to Him each day...just saying...:))))!!!! The gray hair I wear speaks from experience with our God!! Thanks for the wonderful message...It did bring out the preacher in me...<3