Saturday, February 5, 2011

Friends

Proverbs 17:17a A friend is always loyal...

I have not always been great at friendships. Acquaintances, sure, but deep friendships, not so much.

These are the few things I have learned. First, I will not be friends with everyone. Second, everyone that I seek out, will not want to be friends with me.

Let's be real. All people do not click. It's just the way life goes. This has not been an easy one for me. No one enjoys reaching out to someone to get nothing in return. But I have learned that when this happens, just move on.

And third. Love. Love the other person, just the way they are. Be flexible with each others time. Think the best of them. Want the best for them. Understand that just because you may think or act differently doesn't make them wrong, it just makes them different.

Love and accept others the way you want to be loved and accepted, by others. This is not a new concept. Matthew 7:12a Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you...

I want to continue to grow in this area. But I'm feeling good about what I have learned...to love. I don't think I can go wrong.

8 comments:

irish coffee and chocolate said...

Very true. I'm learning this too. I think I've learned a lot in my 30s...wish I'd known more stuff like this 10yrs ago.

Mama D! said...

you sure are a smart girl. ;) I think I like you.

Anonymous said...

I so value you and always will. You are growing by leaps and bounds!!!

Donna R.

Mulberry Manor said...

Wonderful insights and post Lisa! You've hit the nail squarely on the head with this one. Also, people will always disappoint, but God never fails. I've learned a lot in the last few years too, about loyalty in friendship, and even misplaced loyalty and what can happen when you've been burned. It's hard, really hard, to fully trust again. We guard ourselves and judge new friendships based on past experiences, which isn't really fair, but it is almost impossible not to do in our humanness. Bottom line, sometimes we just need to give each other room to BE human.
I've found I don't really need a LOT of friends, just a few that I can trust and who, even though I may not see or talk to them everyday, are the kind where you can just pick up where you left off as if no time had passed at all because they know you well and you are just that comfortable with them. :)

Jennifer said...

This post hit home, Lisa. I start to compare myself to the women who always have a posse taking them out for Girl's Night--that's never been me. As you related, I've always had acquaintances but few true friends. It's bothered me more now that I'm a mother, for some reason.

But you are right--Love. That's the bottom line.

Angela said...

amen to that!

Jill Hill said...

once again...our hearts are in tune. miss you and hope to reschedule our birthday lunch soon. =)

Anonymous said...

I also have learned that I should give friendship time to grow and not force it. A couple of times I have been burned because I trusted a friend too fast. It is hard for me but I have to hold back until I am sure the person is the real deal.
But you, my friend, are the real deal so I am glad we are friends!