Tuesday, January 25, 2011

< lbs.

When you start talking about diet and exercise, weight loss, and the like, you get into some personal territory. So please trust me when I say, I know everyone is different. Food does different things to different people. All our bodies are different. Have I used the word "different" enough? I've made my point.

I have fought my weight for 25+ years. I am not an expert. Or after 25+ years, maybe I am!

I am blogging about this (with some reservations) because if I can encourage 1 person, or write something that clicks with 1 person, it was worth it.

But in my recent loss of a few lbs, the constant question from others is "how did you do it?" So, I will tell you how I did it.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Doctor or a dietitian. For goodness sake, I didn't pass High School chemistry; raising GED high, woot, woot!

Here goes...

I fell out of love with food. It is not my focus anymore. I eat when I am hungry. Not because the clock says it's breakfast, lunch or dinner time. Nope, when I'm hungry. Not when my kids are eating breakfast, or I'm making baby girl a snack or her lunch. When I'm hungry.

I have been blown away, I mean, blown away, at how I did not know what hunger felt like and how much I ate just because the clock showed certain numbers.

Have you ever heard someone say, "I forgot to eat"? I remember clearly hearing this about 8 years ago from a thin girl I worked with. She was serious, I was stunned. How could someone forget to eat? I remember being a bit envious. I get it now. It was not her focus. She listened to her body and ate, when she was hungry.

I stop eating when I am pleasantly full. Not stuffed where I need to unbutton my pants (yes, TMI) or go put my yoga pants on, just comfortably full. And in the beginning of this awareness I would have to go put my plate in the sink to stop from picking my fork back up to nibble.

Here's the thing. If I am hungry 30-45 minutes after dinner, I can go get something else out of the pantry or refrigerator. There is no shortage of food. I thought if I didn't overeat, I would not have another chance to eat until the next morning or next day?? Where did this idea come from? Bottom line - the first time you put your fork down to rest your elbows on the table, take a drink or just to sit back in your chair to take it all in...try stopping there. This has worked wonders for me.

I eat anything I want. I do not watch my fat intake, count calories or carbohydrates. I do make wise choices. But when I want a DQ Blizzard, I usually go get one. But I get the mini-size and when I get to the bottom of the cup and there's no more Heath bar left, I stop. I have never been unsatisfied wanting more. Here me say, this did not happen overnight. I literally would stop myself, (after fussing about how the DQ guy did not mix in the Heath to the bottom) realize there was no toffee goodness left in the mix, put the cup down, and in the beginning, stuff my napkin down in the cup. I had to re-train my brain on what pleasantly satisfied truly felt like.

Along the same lines...I simply adore chips and salsa at Mexican restaurants. I can eat an entire basket solo. In the past I would of course order a meal too. But when the "hot plate" (he he he!) would arrive, I was full of chips...but would eat my meal anyway. Now, I eat chips and salsa, and that's it. Because, again, if I do end up still hungry, I can eat something at home, or half-way through my little family eating, order a taco or rice and beans. Or, grab a bowl of cereal when we get home. Honestly, this has never happened, the chips and salsa (sometimes with a side of guacamole) fill me up just fine. Pleasantly satisfied, not stuffed.

Also, did you know that a lot of times when we think we are hungry we are actually thirsty? It's a proven fact, Google it! My husband has said countless times that he's going to buy me a CamelBak pack to wear around the house! We all need to drink more H20.

And finally, exercise. I walk in my neighborhood or a local park, always with a little girl tucked in the stroller, chomping Cheerios and chugging juice. This is what I do. It's not fancy, but it works. I keep the walking stroller in my car, put my walking clothes on before I even head downstairs to make breakfast and my boy's lunch. After we drop him off, I drive straight to a park and go to it. I not only break a sweat, but it does so much for me mentally. It's like the cobwebs have been blown off my 39-year old tired brain.

So that's my story y'all. Eat less and exercise - who knew?!?! ;-)

6 comments:

Mama D! said...

pretty dog-gone good stuff. :)

Amy Ruth said...

Go Lisa! Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoy reading your blog. :-)

irish coffee and chocolate said...

Good post! Love your thoughts here.

Jennifer said...

Good for you, Lisa! Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Wow, I so needed to hear this! I am one of those who eats because it is what I think I should do (and I enjoy it way too much!). Thanks for the encouragement, you do such a good job of putting your thoughts into words... :)

Mulberry Manor said...

It's so true - this is not rocket science. Eat less, move more is my mantra too. When I feel a couple pounds creeping back on, I know what to do.
You are awesome - yes, you are. :)
Love you sista!