My husband's birthday is coming up this weekend, so I will be posting about him. My plan is to post a few times this week, starting with this post of my first few memories of Scott.
I had already survived one singles group at our former church. It was a fantastic group full of people I still love and keep in touch with. Over the course of 1 year about 6 couples got married leaving behind 3 sad folks who were still single. Ahem, I was one of those sad 3.
So I stopped coming and would get up on Sunday mornings and go shopping, with money I did not have.
Many months later, one of the other 3 sad singles, a guy I had known since I was 5 (this is not an exaggeration) called telling me I had to come back, the singles group was big again and a lot of fun.
I gave him the big "NO" but he kept pushing me, so I went to the Thursday night singles group. That, as they say, was all she wrote.
I didn't notice Scott right off the bat, but soon did. I walked into The House one Thursday where a crowd of folks were already convening in the kitchen as a few girls were making dinner. We would all chow-down while the leader gave a Bible study, then go over to the gym for a rousing game of volleyball. Side Note: There were always those few guys (or girls) who took these matches very seriously, even tho it was clear they were the minority as a number of us girls were huddled around, on the court, talking about our latest finds at Uptons. I miss Uptons.
On this particular night when I walked into The House, Scott was sitting by himself amongst the folding chairs doing his homework, he was in college. I was stunned and amazed. All other beings were socializing, i.e., flirting, in the kitchen. I asked him what he was doing to which he replied, "I want to get my homework done before group starts".
I think I just stood there as I could not get over how focused he was and how committed he was to his studies. I was very impressed.
Over many, many months I would find myself wanting to talk to Scott or call him. I was the social-calendar-queen for our class and I always seemed to find a reason to call Scott. I can still hear his voice in my ear. At the time he worked at DataMatx, I at Quikrete. I am smiling so big right now!
2 comments:
I can't wait to read more! I love to hear how people fell in love--and I love thinking about how I fell in love, too! :)
So great, Lisa! Somehow, you just know when you are drawn to someone over some small thing, that they are going to be special. :)
Post a Comment