Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Anxious for Peace

Philippians 4:6-7 (New Living Translation)
6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

I have been more serious than normal today, I am in my head. I made a list of things I needed to accomplish over the next few days in anticipation of my family Thanksgiving celebration here on Saturday, thinking this would ease my mind. It did not.

I came home from my hair appointment and made a meal for our trip to Florida. Getting this meal prepared and in the freezer had been hanging over my head, knowing I needed to get it made. The meal is complete and the dishes are clean, the kids are napping, but I am still not at ease.

While staring out my window I realized, I am anxious about the holidays.

I desperately try to get things done way in advance to give myself a chance to actually enjoy all this season offers. Sitting at the Christmas tree with my kids telling them stories about different ornaments. Turning on the fire (gotta love those gas logs!) after the kids go to bed and chatting with Scott. Getting up before the rest of the house and drinking my coffee while staring at the Christmas tree...and thinking about the gift of The Son. I become so frustrated at myself at how little I really think about this. For heaven's sake, it is not about anything else, anything, but the gift of Jesus.

So, here's my tried and true course of action. When I become anxious about busy days ahead, and in the midst of holiday commitments, keeping my eyes on Him.

First, I set my alarm and get up a few minutes before the kids. I strive the night before to have my coffee set to brew so all I have to do is pour. In these few (sometimes only 15-20) quiet minutes, I spend time with the Lord. I write in my journal about what is weighing on my mind, asking Him for guidance, wisdom, extra umph of energy or patience.

I read the Proverb of the day, or grab a praise and prayer book like "31 Days of Praise".

I also type up Scriptures that I love, print them out and put them in my car. So that at a red light, the carpool line or traffic on 285, I can read a verse out loud...giving my all to keep my focus on Him.

One more thing I love and rely on and that's the Psalms and Proverbs on CD. I especially love these when I am having a family celebration here at my home. The day of, and sometimes days prior, to the gathering I play on "repeat play" these CD's in my kitchen. And while I hear the voice reading His Words, I pray asking the Spirit to fill my home with peace, love, warmth and relaxation.

Believe me, I have had many, many, many years where what I was actually celebrating, HIM, was not on my radar screen. And for this, I suffered. I felt uptight, extremely anxious, frazzled, tired and frustrated. So then of course, this affected any interaction not only with the people who live with me, but those family members who came through my front door.

So, join me, please :-), in the midst of cooking, cleaning, gift shopping, gift wrapping, teacher gift scrambling, tree decorating, family gathering organizing, family gathering "reply all" emails (oh, you know what I'm talking about!), winter colds nose wiping, overly-tired-sugar-cookie-high kids...

Remember Him. Rest in Him. Rely on Him. Bring Him into your home. While you're cooking the meal, talk to Him about what you want the family-filled day to look like. Thank Him. Love Him. And I promise you, His Light will shine through you and there will be...Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post!
Needed it this week.
Hugs,
Mandy

Jennifer said...

Great reminders, Lisa! You know how I feel about the holidays--it's a shame that sometimes it is hard to keep my focus on Him.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving and a blessed holiday season!