I love hearing people's stories. From deep stuff...life changing times in their lives, good and bad. How they came to know the Lord, how they fell in love with their spouse. And the not-so-deep stuff...mascara, favorite restaurants, shoes, what they cook for dinner, what shows they watch on TV.
So many songs have stories. They take us back and make us smile, or make us cry. Though I would not consider myself a big music person, there are songs or albums that immediately take me back. Sometimes my memory goes back to funny, silly times, others to serious times.
I go walking in my subdivision many mornings a week and a lot of times I've got my IPod tucked in my ears...here are some of my IPod stories.
Beyonce "Crazy In Love". I think this woman is talented. I heard her sing a ballad acapella and it blew me away. And any collaboration with Jay-Z is fantastic. There's just something about these 2 people who never speak to the media about each other coming together. It's incredibly sexy. Oh, and P.S. I saw Jay-Z on Oprah last year and may I just say that I was so glad he not only didn't speak of his wife, he didn't jump around on the couch about her either. Please. (Sorry Tom.)
Aaron Copland & The London Symphony Orchestra "Rodeo Four Dance Episodes". This is the "Beef, it's what's for dinner" song (que Robert Mitchum's voice). This song is a favorite on many levels. Robert Mitchum takes me back to my childhood and watching the mini-series "Winds of War" with my mom and sisters. To say we loved this series is a gross understatement! Daddy was an airline pilot and gone a lot, so we would spend an entire Saturday watching this non-stop. I smile now as I hear one of us yelling, "pause, I have to pee", then we'd all get up and take a 5 to pee, refresh our sweet tea and get another snack. I'm chuckling now!
Depeche Mode's album "Violator". 80's baby! High school in Three Hills Alberta Canada. I had never heard of this band until a guy named Darcy introduced them to me. I've been hooked ever since. Still am.
Bebo Norman's album "Try". He is an incredible songwriter. I can hear his passion. He writes the way I think. If you don't have this album, get it. Scott introduced me to Bebo.
Thinking of Scott...
DC Talk's albums "So Help Me God" and "Supernatural" are so Scott and me when we were dating. (I now have tears in my eyes). Scott drove a white Ford Ranger and man, I have so many memories as I fell in love with this quiet boy who has changed my life. A quiet boy who is now a quiet man who has more character than anyone I've ever known. As I've said in other post, his calm is intoxicating to me. Goodness I love him.
Christina Aguilera "Ain't No Other Man". An unnamed brother-in-law got a speeding ticket while listening to this song! We were at the beach and the guys were out with the kids while my sister and I stayed at the beach house to lounge pool-side. When the men (and kiddos) arrived back they had grins! LOL! What a great story!
Celine Dion's album "One Heart" and Seal's "IV" take me back to a painful time in my and my extended family's lives. But honestly, I love these albums because when I think back to those days, then where we are now...it's all good.
Justin Timberlake "Love Stoned". This song is fantastic! This past Summer my mom accompanied us to the beach. I would go run in the mornings and this was my first song on "RUN" playlist. When I returned to the beach-house mom would be ready to walk with me to Panera Bread where we would get our coffee, sit and chat. Now whenever I hear J.T. I think of those morning runs prior to walking with mom for coffee.
King, Dente, Keaggy "The Quote Jester". This is an instrumental song by some pretty big names in contemporary Christian music. About a week after we found out there was a "Jenna" growing in my belly, Scott came home and told me about this song. He had this cd for a few years and this song came up on his IPod while he was driving to work. He thought "it's Jenna"! We now call this "The Jenna song" and it will be played at her wedding.
The End. :-)
2 comments:
It's amazing how I have the worst memory ever, but a song can take me back to an exact moment. I'd give you an example, but I can't really think of any (that bad memory thing). Just kidding.
I enjoyed learning more about you!
I agree that a song can take you so many places...it truly does. Thank you for sharing your memories with us. Precious you are. :)
Post a Comment