Monday, August 9, 2010

Words


I gather so much good stuff from other mom's stories. Tips, tricks, bits of wisdom, things they pray for, yummy dinners they put together...you can't beat hanging with another mom, talking about life. As I'm sure you do, I typically walk away with some bit of goodness.

So all of that to say, that I'm going to share a story about Max all in the hopes that you will be able to relate and walk away with a bit of goodness.

Before I jump in, I want y'all to know that I have been praying for wisdom in regards to raising this boy from when he was in my womb. I pray because I am so unprepared in many areas of mothering. He is my firstborn so everything is a learning experience, for both of us. I pray because I know there is no other option.

The Lord laid on my heart months ago that I would need, at times, to be Max's words. Communication does not come easily to him. The words are put together perfectly in his head, it's just getting them out can be difficult.

The last few weeks he has not been himself, getting into trouble, long face, ornery, grumpy, you get the idea. So as a result of some attitude issues he was being disciplined more. Not fun for either of us.

One day I asked him why he was so frustrated and grumpy. He said he didn't know. While watching him I realized he was ready for school. So I asked him, "Max are you feeling all crazy in your head because you are ready to go back to school?" His face lit up and he said, "yes mommy"! I was Max's voice.

We ask him every Sunday what his lesson was about. I need to make sure he is listening and being still, not watching and giggling at "funny kids" (he has admitted he likes to watch them)!

One Sunday at lunch Scott asked him and his face dropped and he said, "God", when pushed, "obey". I sat back and observed, let Scott handle this...

We got home, put the kids down for a nap then I headed out to run some errands. While sitting there in the quietness of the car, I realized that when asked about the Sunday school lesson he starts getting nervous and in his head trying to think of the "what do they want to hear" answer instead of the truth.

I decided to have a conversation with Max about this. When I said, "do you feel nervous in your head wondering what to say?" He said he did, then I explained to him that he needed to settle down, think back to Sunday school and answer the question. I reassured him that it was all okay and he just needed to chill and relax.

Fast forward to this morning at breakfast. I asked, "Hey, what was your Sunday school lesson about yesterday?" He started to get that look, so I said, "relax buddy, it's okay...", "it was about a girl who was king". I was stumped, but then praised him because I knew he could not make that up! I searched the floorboard of the car (what a disaster area) and found his paper, it was on Esther who became queen.

So, do you have a child who causes you to scratch your head about things, y'all just aren't connecting or you are stumped a lot? Pray for wisdom - He will give it to you. I believe our kids need us to help them while they mature and for Max, find his words.

I have also had times where he and I could not work through something, so I stop and pray. I grab his hands and say, "Max, we are just really having a hard time here and Mommy doesn't know what else to say or do, so let's pray and ask the Lord to help us". So that's what we do, together. As a result, we both calm down, 99% of the time we resolve the issue and move on.

Y'all God is so good, He is so faithful to meet us right where we are at! Talk to Him, use your words!!! He is listening.

Oh, and P.S., Max woke up one morning this Summer and said, "hey Mommy, can we watch that show about words"? 'Word World' is now his favorite show - seriously, how cute is that?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you are so insightful with your children--you really have a "listening" heart.

BTW, little Jarrett saw me yesterday at church and asked me where "red shirt with the Thomas train on it" was--and his mommy. I told him Max was in another class and he seemed disappointed until I said when he truns 4 then he can be in there with Max. I thought it was so cute.

Donna R

irish coffee and chocolate said...

That's so great Lisa! My mom did that for me I remember---she gave me words. She helped me explore my feelings. Thanks for the reminder to do this for my kids!

Jill Hill said...

always learning from you, lisa. what a great story...can't wait to hear more "words" from you on thursday!!

love you!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for the encouraging post. I have tears in my eyes right now because I am having such a hard time with my son. He does not struggle for words, but he is struggling to obey. I feel like everything I try fails, and I start every day praying for wisdom. Will you please pray for me, too? I will try praying with my son when I'm at my wits end...we pray together but never in the middle of a battle. I'm sure that would help!

Anonymous said...

I needed this one today, Lisa. Trying to help Owen find his words alot lately. I find myself asking, "What would Lisa do??"
Missed you & Max & Jenna this morning!

Mandy

The Gadds said...

how precious. i loved reading your post and your heart. God has used each one of my kids to refine my heart like nothing ever has before. it is hard and hurtful at times, but so sweet and good. loved your story!