Friday, January 27, 2017

Sally


I attended the funeral and graveside service today of Sally Legg.  She was the mother of my brother-in-law, Larry.  Larry married my sister, Linlee.

As I was sitting at the service today, I was reminded once again of God Almighty's loving hand in strategically placing people in my life, all at various time, but always when I needed them most -- the names that automatically come to mind are Don and Sally Legg, Bobby and Gloria Hudgins.  Steve and Julie Tingle, Mr. and Mrs. Silvers, Don and Ginny Balfour, Buddy and Jody Hoffman, Dale and Donna Rector, who might I add, forced Scott to ask me out a 2nd time.  He wasn't forced the first time, but I acted so awful he had no interest in asking me again.  I'm forever and ever indebted to Dale and Donna!  :)

It was my late teens, my Senior year of High School my parents divorced.  As a result I dropped out of High School (I was at a boarding school in Alberta), and moved back to the Atlanta area.

To say I was floundering would be an understatement.  I was lost.

After a few months Linlee found me a place to live, and it was then that I experienced first-hand, the deep heart of Don and Sally Legg.  They gave me a car.  And that was the beginning of their constant presence in my life.  It was 1990.

Christmas Day evening 2015 I was back at Don and Sally's house.  With Scott, Max and Jenna. You see me, then, Scott and I, followed by Scott, Max, Jenna and I being at the Legg's on any given holiday was not out of the norm.  In fact, after we moved back to Gwinnett in 2005, Scott would often say, "are we going to end up at Don and Sally's, have you heard from Linlee?"  Inevitably Linlee and I would be texting or chatting and she'd tell us their plans and invite us along.  It was only a very few times we would not join in.

In those 25 years I was loved well by Don and Sally.  There are countless memories and conversations.  Pictures in my head.  That Christmas evening 2015 my kids ran in and straight back to the playroom where the Christmas village is set up.   Max and Jenna also knew where the other toys were.  You see, they felt welcomed and loved 25 years after their mom first encountered the same love and open arms.

I sat at their home today and cried.  I'm so sad I won't see Sally there again.  Standing in her kitchen, hugging hello and immediately pointing to the cookies making sure Max and Jenna, and Scott :), knew where they were.

Thank you Sally.  And thank you Don.  You both have made an incredible impression on my life.  And thank you sweet Father, I'm deeply grateful and I thank You.




2 comments:

belindasuzy said...

I love your story, thank you for sharing. He is a good Father always watching out for us and I am in awe of how He rescues and loves us with the people he puts in our lives. I have a feeling that you will be a "Sally" if you are not already. May the Lord fill your heart with sweet memories and comfort during this time. Please give my love and to Linlee. <3

Jamie Miles said...

Your telling of Sally's impact on your life testifies to the times we just show up and become involved in someone's life. Being open and willing to be used by God. When we look back on our life from a heavenly perspective, it will be those times we did the natural thing and took the time to open our lives to another that shine through. No matter for a brief moment or relationships that develop into a lifetime of love.