Monday, January 30, 2012

40 Things I've Learned In 40 Years

These are in no particular order. Some will be serious, some, not.

1. in most situations, when someone thinks differently than me it does not make them wrong, it just makes them different...than me.

2. when heading out the door to run some errands, it's always worth it to take the time to get dolled up. i enjoy looking my best.

3. i am keenly aware of the Father's protection over me in my teens and 20's. this has become increasingly more clear the further along i get in mothering.

4. the laundry is never going away. might as well stop complaining about it.

5. my "i gain 50+ lbs with each pregnancy and am only 5 ft tall" lose belly flab is never going away. might as well stop complaining about it.

6. purchasing inexpensive shoes is not worth it.

7. when my daddy said, "her mother and i" and gave me to scott, that "leaving and cleaving" is more than just a physical move. it was also, and more importantly, an emotional.

8. when my husband helps in the house with something, cleaning up the kitchen, folding laundry, etc. do not go behind him and do it my way. cuz that's just wrong.

9. the lord does not have commands knowing that with him, they are unattainable. he does not sign me up for failure.

10. the nutritional value of cheese does not outweigh how fattening it is. resulting in my rarely eating it.

11. i do not have to answer my phone every time it rings. it's more than okay to let a call go to voicemail.

12. same with text or email. it's okay to wait.

13. tide laundry soap is worth every penny.

14. forgiveness is a powerful thing, though it does not happen overnight. it takes focus and work.

15. i am very particular about light bulbs.

16. being flexible for others is better than not. everyone involved becomes more at ease.

17. do you have someone in your life who stays behind and helps you clean up? stick with them.

18. my husband is my best friend. i trust him completely.

19. i chose football over me.

20. soaking a pan overnight is better than scrubbing it for 12 minutes.

21. my bible is breathing. living. i look at it on my table and i see it inhaling and exhaling. it is life.

22. i strive to not let the behavior of others change how i behave.

23. in mothering. go with my gut.

24. though i may appear a certain way to others, the lord knows my heart. and truly knowing that, i can breathe easy.

25. i have finally learned who i am in jesus christ. this has taken decades.

26. a child cannot hear the words, "i really love being your mom" enough. their faces light up each time i say it.

27. being a wife and mother are very selfless roles. but in my experience, worth it.

28. i live in my cubical. so do 3 other people.

29. cover girl or lancome, at the end of the day, they both end up down the drain.

30. redken shampoo ends up down the drain too. but worth it.

31. always speak kindly and be patient with people who are serving me.

32. it's okay to say, "i don't know what to say".

33. i don't always have to make a meal.

34. regular and diet sodas are garbage.

35. i tell or write out exactly what i'm feeling or thinking to the lord. he knows anyway. i can't fool him with my nice or polite way of putting things. i have gotten real with him. he's not going anywhere.

36. capri pants are not flattering.

37. my daughter is learning how to be a wife and mother...by watching me.

38. contentment is learned.

39. when i am being critical of others, i am typically avoiding myself.

40. i would not go back. for anything.

4 comments:

irish coffee and chocolate said...

Love your list! I have to disagree with the Tide thing tho...I used it until I became more sensitive to smell but mostly that I discovered a way better one at Costco (better for us as it only has a slight scent...oh and its eco friendly and cheap) called Ecos. Have you tried it? So good! I had another one to comment on but now I can't see the post:)! Good insight Lisa!! Isn't it good to see growth in our lives? Sometimes I have wondered if I am actually growing but recently I did a sort of list in my head and realized that thankfully I have and I am grateful.

Rebekah said...

I love your list and I love it that I have been privelged to be your friend for most of my life. :) So glad to hug your neck this week.

Love you so much and I hope that this 40 years is incredibly sweet. Even sweeter. :)

Love and more love,
Rebekah

Amy Ruth said...

I love you, Lisa. I love to see how you've grown. And I'm so glad to be here 30+ years after becoming friends! XOXO.

Oh, and I agree with "irish coffee". I love me some Ecos laundry detergent (and Biokleen for stain removal). No poison and works GREAT!

Jamie said...

Love this..such wisdom. Esp, soaking a pan overnight rather than scrubbing for 12 minutes. God will give you new insights each stage of life, keep writing them down and passing them on. I loved reading your writing..and it made me smile. That is a gift to others.