Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Teaching Legos

The other day I was upstairs, heard the kids in Max's room, so went in there to check things out. Immediately I noticed my boy had a face, enough of a face for me to say, "you ok buddy?" to which he replied he was fine. So I came on downstairs.

On the table was a brand new Lego airplane half busted apart. He had just received the plane the day before and had not let it out of his sight. Plus, he knows that half put together Lego creations laying haphazardly on the kitchen table is a no-no. Side note, a lot of this rule is based on keeping me sane as I have spent more than enough time looking for the missing Lego piece that's the size of a grain of rice...are y'all hearin' me?! For goodness sake!

I then knew the face I'd seen a few minutes before was a face of guilt. Called him downstairs....long story short, while playing, he had crashed the plane, and some pieces were missing, he was frustrated, so came on upstairs...then had a guilty face his momma noticed right off the bat!

After a bit of expressing frustration to me about the missing pieces which could not be found, I strongly encouraged him to get back to the table and do his best...you get the picture...not a super peaceful time...

I went back upstairs, a bit frustrated myself actually. As I was folding the pile(s) of laundry the Spirit told me to go teach Max about praying, ya know, praying when you're frustrated about a task at hand. Praying when we've lost something that we really need to find. We've all been there. Granted, as adults we are praying about much, much bigger things...needing a job, desiring to have a baby, wanting to find a mate, begging the Father for healing in your body, your marriage, the lives of your grown children...

So, do you teach a kid to talk to God about 2 missing Lego's? Seems a bit silly, honestly. But those 2 missing pieces were a very big deal to my son. If I teach him now to get in the habit of bringing ALL things to the Father, won't that help him later in life? If I don't teach him these things now, when will I? When he's 10, 14, 18? I knew I needed to get back downstairs pronto, catch my son in a moment where he was feeling the frustration...teaching over Lego's.

Proverbs 22:6 Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it.

Luke 12:7 And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid, you are more valuable to God, than a whole flock of sparrows.

I told him how the Lord loves him so much, and things that are a big deal to him, are a big deal to Him!! I talked to my boy about how we can talk to God about anything, at anytime. I also told him that the Lord knows how many hairs are on his head (y'all should have seen his eyes, he loved that one!). I asked him if he'd like to pray, to which he did, telling the Father how he was upset that he'd lost the 2 pieces "and can you please help me find them?"

After lunch he went back to his airplane. He'd taken the entire thing apart and was starting over. I had gone back upstairs to give the laundry a few more dirty looks, then proceeded to continue folding.

"MOMMY YOU WERE RIGHT" trailed upstairs and landed sweetly on my ears. I grinned and swallowed that big lump in my throat. Y'all my sweet boy experienced the faithfulness of our Lord.

"Here are the pieces, they were here the whole time"! Max then prayed thanking the Lord for answering his prayer about the 2 missing Legos.

Matthew 19:14a Jesus said, "let the little children come to me. Don't stop them!"

4 comments:

irish coffee and chocolate said...

sweet. i love your lessons you share here from your life as a mama. love, C.

Mulberry Manor said...

That is so awesome and he learned such a great thing here. I've done similar things with my kids over the years and I'm ashamed to say, sometimes they have more faith than I do. When Carter lost his bag containing his hoody and new camera in Venice, among thousands of people, re-tracing our steps of the previous 2 hours!!! he prayed and God answered. The faith of a child is a precious thing.

Donna R. said...

Good job, girl! Now THAT'S shepherding a child's heart. I love it.

Jill Hill said...

precious. precious. i am taking notes over here. ;)