Psalm 91:1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
I am reading Psalm 91 God's Umbrella of Protection by Peggy Joyce Ruth. In the first chapter, verse 1, she stresses the importance of having a secret place to "abide" with the Almighty. And she means literally, not just quieting your mind. And for me home with 2 kids that looks a lot like
placing them in front of a Disney show while I grab 4.8 minutes before one of them has a need.
When I first read her words I thought it sounded a bit nutty. Like, I'm supposed to go sit behind the couch or down in the crawlspace (I exaggerate), but you get my point. But after my snickering, I did think of a place in my house that I could sneak away too. A place I could be alone...but again, pushed it out of my head.
Over the next few weeks when I would have a spiritual battle in my head, or would have a heaviness for someone, the Spirit would bring the secret place I had thought of, back to the forefront of my mind.
A few Sunday's ago I was really struggling. All my peeps were busy with this or that, so I went to the place I had first thought of.
And there He was, waiting for me. I sat on the floor, snuggled against a piece of furniture (it's true) and talked to the Almighty.
In this tight cozy space I felt His arms around me as I poured out my heart. I chuckled and told Him that I was so glad I got over the silly feeling and just ran to Him, to abide.
Obviously He hears me and is with me no matter where I am. But this was different. That's all I can say.
Find your place. I'm sure a lot of you who are reading this post have already thought of a place. What do you have to lose? Go there.
3 comments:
Love this! Made me think of Matthew 6:6. I have a physical place I go to when I need to meet the Lord one-on-one too. Angela
my place is my closet! i shut the door and sprawl out on the floor face first! it's the best...and nobody ever finds me! :)
I love the words of Psalm 91. My mother and I memorized it together when I was growing up and then she recited it at my wedding reception. Such a special memory for me.
Post a Comment